The third Middle School contest of the Santa Cruz Scholastic Surf League took place this past Saturday, November 23rd. The contest had to be moved from the Hook to Manresa State Beach of Santa Cruz due to very small surf in the 1 to 2 foot range. Cunha surfed against Mission Hills, the top rated school in the league, and was defeated in the team round by a score of 77 to 49. Considering the terrible conditions, not Half Moon Bay surfers prefer type of surf, the Cunha competitors surfed very well.
All was not lost as three Cunha team riders advanced all the way to the finals:
Emma Stone surfed her way to the finals in two division and took 2nd place in Girl's longboard and Girl's shortboard. Ella Catalano-Dockins took 5th place in Girl's shortboard while Cunha's very own Clay Johnson took 4th place in Boy's Longboard.
Fun was had by all the competitors as we look forward to our next contest on January 19th, 2014 at the Hook in Santa Cruz.
Additional photos taken by Tom Feix can be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34324177@N07/sets/72157637993185776/
Photos below taken by Adam Stone.
We will meet at the in El Granada across the street from Cafe Classique (turn east at the stoplight by the Harbor in Princeton) in the Flavor parking Lot i
At the meeting we will:
- Collect Surf Club dues/fees ($130 per Surfer) for the coming 2013-14 Season
- Collect All http://www.hmbsurfclub.com/docs)">forms: SCSSL Liability Waiver Form, Student Membership and Emergency Information , ALSO all HS Athletes need to fill out and complete a Doctors Physical to particpate in School Athletics with the High School - if you have done this for another fall sport you are covered - if NOT get a Sports Physical.
- We will remind folks why we need to have them join the Boys & Girls Club of the Coastside and if you haven't done so already how to complete this.
- We will talk about some of the benefits of being a Club Member... wetsuit deals...
- We will also be talking about the upcoming 6th Annual Luau & Surf Swap on the 21st of Sept
After the meeting we will go for a surf ... conditions permitting!
See you then the Coaches
This has been passed along from the SCssL: Warner Bros is looking for a young surfer for the feature film "Crazy for the Storm". Shooting will take place in Los Angeles for 10 - 12 weeks, most likely starting in January. Please spread the word to any interested young surfers.
We had some very contestable waves with 2-3' waves, sunny and light offshore conditions.
In the Team on Team event ... we were defeated by Mission Hills 77 - 49. Though we had a good day and every one got in the water. We had three alternates seeded into the event and saw Marius Kulda with his first short board debut and Kacie Sorfleet stepping into take a spot in the young womens short board event.
In the Individuals we saw two of our surfers making it thru to the Finals:
Kalea Johnson took 2nd - Womens Long Board
Kelby Kramer took 3rd - Co-ed Body Board
Congratulations and to everyone for coming down and enjoying a beautiful day at the Hook!