HMB High School State Championships Results:
It was a long weekend for the surf team from way up north, which traveled the furthest to get to Oceanside for the State Championships. For the first time in a couple of years surf team participation was sanctioned by the HMB High School administration. The event was attended by Athletic Director Justin Ferdinand, who was a very welcome addition.
HMB did not advance in their team heats on Saturday despite strong performances by Hunter Murison, Luke Eveslage and Griffin Tietz in shortboard. Konrad Wallace won his heat in longboard and Kaira Wallace finished 3rd and 2nd in her shortboard and longboard heats respectively. HMB finished equal-9th in all divisions, but took a 5th in co-ed bodyboard, thanks to Hunter Murison and Malcolm Feix.
Full results can be found on:
We fared better on Monday during the individual round, with some outstanding efforts:
- Freshman Hunter Murison was the standout performer for HMB in men's shortboard, slicing and dicing his way to the quarter finals with stylish, smart and aggressive tactical heat surfing on the lefts at the south jetty, just missing the semis by a place. He placed 2nd in his first heat and won his second.
- Luke Eveslage also advanced a round with the tide dropping, making for tough wave selection. He made up for this with strong finishing maneuvers that sent him through.
- In women's shortboard Hannah Tonnessen advanced to the second round by staying busy and capitalizing on her opportunities.
- Konrad Wallace won his opening heat in men's longboard with long nose-rides and strong finishing moves, but ran out of luck in the quarters and did not advance further.
- Kyla Kemp and Kaira Wallace advanced in women's longboard before getting knocked out in the quarters.
- Hunter Murison and Malcolm Feix competed with flare in their bodyboard heats, but did not advance.
In between the team and individual events the team scored some exceptional south swell conditions at Oceanside, Trestles and San Onofre beaches. It was as great weekend for surfing, fun and memories. A full box of wax was scored from Sex Wax and Pedro's Tacos in San Clemente was assaulted with extreme prejudice by hungry surfers. Special thanks to Cindy and Marty Phelps for being great camp hosts.
Looking forward to next year,
HMB High School State Championships Update:
- There will be no high school surf team practice Weds (Apr-17)
- We will hold a team meeting Friday night at Carlsbad State Campground between 8-9 p.m. to go over details of Saturday's team event in Oceanside.
- Heats and schedules are now online. Contest will be held at BOTH the North and South Jetties (Exit from I-5 in Oceanside is "Harbor Jetties"):
Forecast is for small, clean conditions: http://solspot.com/north-san-diego-5-day-surf-forecast/
Some families will be going down Thursday afternoon and others Friday morning. Try to get in a practice surf Friday afternoon between the Oceanside Jetties before meeting up in Carlsbad.
See Ya Friday, should be a great trip!!!
HMB High School school driver registration and permission forms:
For the High School Surf Team ONLY, please print and fill out the following forms, which are due by the next team meeting.
- Each parent/driver will have to complete a school driver registration form (including copies of auto insurance and drivers licenses).
- Trip Permission Slips must be filled out for each surfer from HMB High and from any other schools as well.
We will collect the forms and go over the details of the trip to Oceanside on Wednesday, April 10th.
HMB Surf Team - SCSSL Awards Ceremony Results
Mission Hill School in Santa Cruz hosted our end of season awards ceremony, which was a fun Thursday night of pizza and camaraderie in Santa Cruz after a quick surf on the way down.
HMB surfers completed their season in style with several strong finishes and really solid team results. Congratulations to all participants for a really fun season.
HMB Middle School Results:
Team #3 overall
Bodyboard #2 Kelby Kramer
Girls Longboard #1 Kalea Johnson
Girls Shortboard #4 Kalea Johnson
HMB High School Results:
Team #2 overall
Bodyboard #2 Hunter Murison
Bodyboard #5 Malcolm Feix
Women's Longboard #2 Kaira Wallace
Men's Longboard #2 Konrad Wallace
Women's Shortboard #4 Kaira Wallace
Onward and upward to State Championships!
HMB High Goes Big for final SCSSL comp @ Lane:
Congratulations to all competitors for a great final match-up for the regular season at "all time" conditions at the Lane. HMB surfers showed tremendous maturity and poise in well overhead and super-clean waves, with some really smart contest surfing. Several surfers posted their best heats/waves of the season with really great energy and renewed confidence to bring it home for the year. Outstanding job, super proud of all of you!!!
-Men's shortboarders swept both team heats in first round, advancing ALL HMB surfers.
-Hunter Murison, Peter Lundgard advanced to the semis in men's shortboard.
-Griffin Tietz charged into some huge middle peak bombs to make his first longboard final.
-August Howell gets the warrior award for taking two massive multiple wave sets on the head in his longboard semis and coming back for more.
-Women's team and body board teams remained super consistent, advancing several rounds.
-Hannah Tonnessen also gets warrior queen award for some brave drops and really consistent surfing.
-Hunter Murison lost his body board in a cave and had to body-surf in.
Final Team results:
HMB 73 vs Santa Cruz Mountain 51
Body Board: Malcolm Feix 3rd, Hunter Murison 6th
Women's Longboard: Kaira Wallace 4th
Men's Longboard: Griffin Tietz 4th, Konrad Wallace 6th
Women's Shortboard: Hannah Tonnessen 4th
Great finish to the season, looking forward to States.
Attention! HMB High Surf Team Comp Update - Sunday Changes
The High School competition has been been pushed back by one hour due to Daylight Savings Time. This means we will compete against Santa Cruz Mountain at 11 a.m. (new time), not 10 a.m. Please set your clocks ahead 1 hour tonight and arrive at the Lane in time for a mandatory 10 a.m. team meeting.
Conditions should be good Sunday, but high tide in the morning will make inside positioning key.
We are currently in second place behind Santa Cruz after last week's loss. But this is the last chance to boost your individual standings, which are now available on: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2gVX6JHDeM-QUN2VXdnMkNyZEk/edit?pli=1
Anyone still needing my signature for State Championship individual entries, please bring your forms.
Good luck to the middle school at the Hook today and see you manana,
HMB High Surf Team Practices Halted on Wednesdays:
Spring has sprung and it has become increasingly difficult to pigeon hole practices on blustery Wednesday afternoons for competition surfers. The high school has just one more regular season comp on March 10 at the Lane and we will attempt to have Sunday morning practices until then, conditions permitting, after which Sunday practices will be halted as well.
We will run a couple tune-up practices ahead of State Championships on April 20-22. But in the meantime, please give your teammates a call or text to find windows to get in the water. I highly recommend that high schoolers make at least one attempt to surf the Lane before the next comp and junior high surfers do the same at the Hook. Solid familiarity with those breaks will have the greatest potential impact on your results.
I will also make time for any high school surfers seeking personal coaching or video analysis to brush up on technique and heat strategy ahead of States. Just let me know.
See ya in the water,
HMB High Surf Team Results from "The Point"
The high school surf team put on a valiant effort at the Point today in Santa Cruz, but were outclassed by rival Santa Cruz High at their home break. HMB came up short for the first time this season 51 to 75.
Shifty high tide conditions in the morning and intermittent lulls and sets made gauging the line-up very challenging, though conditions overall were spectacular for most of the day.
Several surfers advanced from the team heats (Hunter, Thomas, Konrad, Hannah, Kaira and Griffin) and others took full advantage of alternate draws to make the finals. Special mention goes to the "Deja Vu Murison Final" in bodyboard, in which Hunter and Carson met for the first time.
Bodyboard: 2nd) Hunter Murison 6th) Carson Murison
Women's Shortboard: 5th) Kyla Kemp 6th) Hannah Tonnessen
Women's Longboard: 3rd) Kaira Wallace
Congratulations to HMB and all team members on a fine day of surfing!
HMB High School Surf Team:
1) As a reminder, Sunday's SCSSL Comp will be at Pleasure Point (Feb-24)- be there at 7:30 a.m. for an 8:30 a.m. start against Santa Cruz High. Conditions look good for a mixed 5-6' swell and hard North (offshore) winds. Tide will peak in the morning and drop throughout the day. The roster was posted earlier in the week.
2) Please remember to bring your SSS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP forms for individuals (there are 3 - see previous email) for a coach signature. NOTE, we've had an update from the SSS League that "A teams" (HMB) will compete on Saturday April 20; "B teams" Sunday April 21 (day off for HMB) and "Individuals" on Monday April 22. It is entirely up to you what you choose to compete in on Monday. It is not a requirement, nor is it dependent on your team results from Saturday. You will have to send in a $40 check/per desired division (short-, long-, body-board) and the (signed) forms directly to secure your slots for the Individual comp.
Good luck to the middle school today at the Hook!
See ya Sunday,
HMB High School State SSS Championships Forms Due:
All high school competitors will need to fill out 3 documents for individual entries to the "Scholastic Surf Series" and send them ASAP with fees of $40 per surfer/per event: http://www.surfsss.org/state-championships-2012/ (Individual entry form, membership/release form, waiver form). Team competition dues will be covered by the Club.
The States' Roster is as follows:
Men's Shortboard: Hunter, Konrad, Peter, Thomas, Malcolm, Luke, Griffin, Omid, August (Alt. Carson, Miles)
Men's Longboard: Konrad, Peter, Luke (Alt. August, Miles)
Women's Shortboard: Kaira, Hannah, Katrina (Alt. Kyla)
Women's Longboard: Kaira, Helen, Kyla (Alt. Hannah)
Coed Bodyboard: Hunter, Malcolm (Alt. Miles, Carson)
Forms will require a coach signature, which I would like to have completed by next weekend's competition on Feb-24. Please let me know immediately if there are any omissions, or if you are unable to participate, in order to move up alternates.
This should be a really fun event and the highlight of your already successful season!