"Save the Date"
Saturday 6/22 2-5pm
An end of season celebration will be held at Montara Beach.
More details to follow soon in an Evite.
ps- If you havent received an Evite please check your Junk email filter/folder for an evite from Barb or Julie regarding this event.
The Annual Half Moon Bay Surf Club Luau will be held at the IDES Hall in HMB on Sept 21st. Save the date and look for more details to follow.
Surfers and Parents,
We're nearing the end of our season with Middle-School State Championships coming up! With the end to an awesome season, we are also seeing a bottom to our annual budget. This is the time to really start ramping up on our fund-raising!
We will have the surf team trailer set up at Dream Machines on Sunday. We desperately need volunteer surfers to sell apparel and parents to supervise. Please let us know if you can help.
I'll be setting up the trailer early in its usual location near the south walk-in entrance, and will be at Ketch Joanne's for breakfast with some friends around 8:00am. Please call me to get your passes.
I will not be at the booth all day and cannot supervise. We definitely will need a parent or two to help supervise the kids.
HMB High School State Championships Results:
It was a long weekend for the surf team from way up north, which traveled the furthest to get to Oceanside for the State Championships. For the first time in a couple of years surf team participation was sanctioned by the HMB High School administration. The event was attended by Athletic Director Justin Ferdinand, who was a very welcome addition.
HMB did not advance in their team heats on Saturday despite strong performances by Hunter Murison, Luke Eveslage and Griffin Tietz in shortboard. Konrad Wallace won his heat in longboard and Kaira Wallace finished 3rd and 2nd in her shortboard and longboard heats respectively. HMB finished equal-9th in all divisions, but took a 5th in co-ed bodyboard, thanks to Hunter Murison and Malcolm Feix.
Full results can be found on:
We fared better on Monday during the individual round, with some outstanding efforts:
- Freshman Hunter Murison was the standout performer for HMB in men's shortboard, slicing and dicing his way to the quarter finals with stylish, smart and aggressive tactical heat surfing on the lefts at the south jetty, just missing the semis by a place. He placed 2nd in his first heat and won his second.
- Luke Eveslage also advanced a round with the tide dropping, making for tough wave selection. He made up for this with strong finishing maneuvers that sent him through.
- In women's shortboard Hannah Tonnessen advanced to the second round by staying busy and capitalizing on her opportunities.
- Konrad Wallace won his opening heat in men's longboard with long nose-rides and strong finishing moves, but ran out of luck in the quarters and did not advance further.
- Kyla Kemp and Kaira Wallace advanced in women's longboard before getting knocked out in the quarters.
- Hunter Murison and Malcolm Feix competed with flare in their bodyboard heats, but did not advance.
In between the team and individual events the team scored some exceptional south swell conditions at Oceanside, Trestles and San Onofre beaches. It was as great weekend for surfing, fun and memories. A full box of wax was scored from Sex Wax and Pedro's Tacos in San Clemente was assaulted with extreme prejudice by hungry surfers. Special thanks to Cindy and Marty Phelps for being great camp hosts.
Looking forward to next year,
Here are the heat times for individuals on Monday for States. Please have your surfers at the event an hour before their first heat. Please double-check online at the Scholastic Surf Series website and again with the beach Marshall.
Thomas 7:15 MSB
Peter 7:30 MSB
Malcolm 8:30 MSB
Griffin 8:45 MSB
Peter 9:00 MLB
Malcolm 9:15 MLB
Konrad 9:45 MLB
Luke 10:15 MLB
Omid 7:15 MSB
Hunter 8:00 MSB
Konrad 8:15 MSB
Luke 8:30 MSB
Kaira 9:15 WSB
Hannah 10:00 WSB
Kyla 11:30 WLB
Kaira 12:00 WLB
Malcolm 1:45 BB
Hunter 2:00 BB
HMB High School State Championships Update:
- There will be no high school surf team practice Weds (Apr-17)
- We will hold a team meeting Friday night at Carlsbad State Campground between 8-9 p.m. to go over details of Saturday's team event in Oceanside.
- Heats and schedules are now online. Contest will be held at BOTH the North and South Jetties (Exit from I-5 in Oceanside is "Harbor Jetties"):
Forecast is for small, clean conditions: http://solspot.com/north-san-diego-5-day-surf-forecast/
Some families will be going down Thursday afternoon and others Friday morning. Try to get in a practice surf Friday afternoon between the Oceanside Jetties before meeting up in Carlsbad.
See Ya Friday, should be a great trip!!!
HMB High Surf Team-Alumni Challenge 9 a.m. Jetty Sunday (April 14)
As a reminder, we will attempt to launch the first annual HMB High Surf Team-Alumni Challenge in what will be small, cold, low-tide and wind-blown conditions at the Jetty. No one said it'd be easy, but, hey, that's HMB in the springtime!
Junior High and Club practices will also be held at the Jetty to the south of the contest zone. If you don't have a jersey, please don't encroach on the contest area until we're done. Thanks!
See Ya Sunday,
HMB High Surf Team Practice Schedule for States:
For the high school squad only we will hold three practices with heats to tune up for state championships, conditions/locations to be confirmed just prior to practice.
1) Wednesday April 10th 4 p.m. Jetty
2) Sunday April 14 9 a.m. Jetty
3) Wednesday April 17 4 p.m. Jetty
As a reminder, there is a high school only team meeting on Wednesday April 10th to go over the expectations for the team trip. Meet at lunchtime in Mr. Lawrence's room, pizza will be served. Please bring in your driver's reg and permission forms if you haven't already turned them in (see previous note). If you attend another school, please bring permission forms to practice.
See ya there,
HMB High School school driver registration and permission forms:
For the High School Surf Team ONLY, please print and fill out the following forms, which are due by the next team meeting.
- Each parent/driver will have to complete a school driver registration form (including copies of auto insurance and drivers licenses).
- Trip Permission Slips must be filled out for each surfer from HMB High and from any other schools as well.
We will collect the forms and go over the details of the trip to Oceanside on Wednesday, April 10th.
HMB Surf Team - SCSSL Awards Ceremony Results
Mission Hill School in Santa Cruz hosted our end of season awards ceremony, which was a fun Thursday night of pizza and camaraderie in Santa Cruz after a quick surf on the way down.
HMB surfers completed their season in style with several strong finishes and really solid team results. Congratulations to all participants for a really fun season.
HMB Middle School Results:
Team #3 overall
Bodyboard #2 Kelby Kramer
Girls Longboard #1 Kalea Johnson
Girls Shortboard #4 Kalea Johnson
HMB High School Results:
Team #2 overall
Bodyboard #2 Hunter Murison
Bodyboard #5 Malcolm Feix
Women's Longboard #2 Kaira Wallace
Men's Longboard #2 Konrad Wallace
Women's Shortboard #4 Kaira Wallace
Onward and upward to State Championships!