HMB SURF "TEAMS" COMP SCHEDULE:
At our SCSSL league meeting last night in Santa Cruz some very important improvements were made to the competition schedule and structure.
See below from Susan and Ward Coffey:
It was great to see everyone at the meeting - and we missed those of you who couldn’t make it. As discussed, we will be keeping the contest dates flexible this year, like a contest window. The middle and high school teams will both compete on the same weekend, but we will wait until we know the conditions to determine who surfs on what day. We hope to make the call by Wednesday before the contest and are making the change so we can put surfers in the best and safest conditions for their age and ability.
The contest weekends are:
Oct 24 - 25 Half Moon Bay
Nov 21 - 22 Pleasure Point / The Hook
Jan 30 - 31 Pleasure Point / The Hook
Feb 20 - 21 the Lane
Mar 19 - 20 Manresa
The other changes we discussed affects the HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION ONLY:
1) We are going to drop the body board division from the "team round." but will be accepting alternates to surf in a body board semi and final in the "individual round."
2) With that extra time, we will be adding 6 additional shortboard men's alternate spots. Each team is guaranteed 2 spots. Any slot left vacant will be filled by lottery.
3) Finals will now be 20 minutes long vs 15 minutes for heats.
Let me know if you have any questions. We’re looking forward to another great year!
Susan and Ward
Sunday morning at 9:00am will be our first club practice. Conditions should be good for club with surf in the 2-3 foot range and a incoming tide. The only variable missing in the equation is a decent sandbar.
We'll just have to wait and see what develops.
We'll see you all on Sunday.
High School Surf Team Practice Schedule and Athletics Alerts:
1) Tentative Practice Schedule:
Friday (Sep-11) - 4 pm Kelly
Sunday (Sep-13) - 9 am Kelly
2) Athletic Website:
All High School Team members and parents should sign up for Surf Team Alerts on the new school athletic website: www.hmbhsathletics.com (click on the alerts bar part way down on left to receive alerts via text or email, or both). You have to select "Coed Surf Club" for some reason. This is how I will update practice venues/changes starting next week.
Each surfer must have fully completed all forms and clearances to participate in practices.
4) House of Air:
I am waiting to hear back from www.houseofair.com for the timing and details of a special aerial training session for the high school squad. We will hold it on an upcoming Sunday morning in lieu of practice. I will keep you posted.
5) Luau Tickets:
Make sure you have received tickets for the Luau and are selling them to friends and family for our upcoming annual event.
HMB Surf Team/Club 2015-16 Season Sign-up Forms and Inaugural Meeting
Holy cutback surfing fans! Good news, it’s time launch another season. Bad news, this is the constellation of forms you will need to have filled out by the time we first meet on Sunday, August 30th, at the Monster Chef parking lot at 9 a.m. followed by a meeting with coaches and a free surf (no charge).
Fees will be $130/surfer this year made out to the “Boys & Girls Club,” “HMB Surf Club in the memo line.”
Please use this as a checklist for your respective participation level: C = Club, JH = Junior High Team, HS = High School Team.
1) Boys & Girls Club of the Coastside Membership (C, JH, HS) – This online sign-up is mandatory for all levels from club to team membership. (Do not pay $30 B&G annual fee online, this is part of your dues above)
2) HMB Surf Club Membership Guidelines (C, JH, HS) – Read and sign Club guidelines. Required for all levels.
3) HMB High School Athletic Clearance (HS) – Mandatory for high school team. You must be cleared by a medical doctor, complete clearance and return forms to Athletic Director Justin Ferdinand before participating.
4) SCSSL Membership and Liability Waiver forms (JH, HS) – These 2 forms are required by our Santa Cruz Scholastic Surf League for both teams to practice and compete this season. Please complete fully with T-shirt sizes. http://www.hmbsurfclub.com/sites/default/files/studentLiabilityWaiver201...
5) HMB Surf Club Luau (C, JH, HS) – Our annual fundraiser is coming up fast on September 18th. Please volunteer to help, promote on social media and sell tickets – great venue at Oceano indoor-outdoor facility. This supports our surfers! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153189059387956&set=a.77672267...
Mahalo, See you on August 30 with all your forms complete!!
True to tradition, we (HMB Surf Club/Team) will be in the Forth of July Parade. We would like as many of you as possible to show up for the event. You can walk along, skateboard or ride in Matt's Bronco. Be sure to wear your surf club or CssL tee-shirts. We'll send out an update later this week with specifics of time and place to meet and decorate.
Marty and Rocky
The sandbar at Venice was a lot of fun today and the weather is supposed to be sunny and warm tomorrow!! With that being said, Marty and Rocky will bring the BBQ and Todd Finato has offered to pick up Burgers and Hot Dogs. Team Surfers and everyone is invited to come surf, and hang out and BBQ.
Drinks, side dishes, desert items are all potluck and optional!
Marty and Rocky
Club Surf Practice for Sunday 6.7.15 will be at Venice Beach. We'll send out an update tomorrow night if anything changes.
Marty and Rocky
Coastside Beach Club:
Former Surf Club member Michelle Dragony is seeking to generate interest in a new Coastside Beach Club that would front the harbor just east of the Yacht Club and would be available year-round to coastside families. The aim would be to provide a picnic and access point, with fire pits, storage, hot showers, music, food and aquatic-centered socializing. There may also be a reciprocal agreement with the Yacht Club and Surf Club members who fill out the survey below would get a $100 initiation fee waived.
She needs help with a with a survey response to convince the property owner and investors that this is viable economic use of the space and that local demand will support it. If you are interested, please take a moment and fill out her survey:
Pray for sun! We’ll be at Dunes at 9am tomorrow for club practice. Maybe Rocky will bring some donuts!!
Marty and Rocky
SSS State Championships Results for High School Surf Team:
HMB Cougars faced tough competition against 40 teams over two days last weekend, but ably acquitted themselves at Church's beach in San Clemente against the best in the state in challenging conditions spawned by a solid south swell and late winter storm.
Highlights - Team competition:
Men's shortboard - 5th
Men's longboard - 5th
Women's shortboard - 5th
Women's longboard - 5th
Coed bodyboard - 3rd
- Hunter Murison and Malcolm Feix made quarter finals in mens shortboard
- Coel Miller advanced to quarters in mens longboard
- Kaira Wallace earned third in the state in womens longboard finals and advanced into the semi finals of womens shortboard.
Congratulations HMB! Well done team, super fun finish to a great season! Thanks to all our coaches and parents for a memorable camp out weekend at the Pendleton base campsite made possible by the Evans Thomas family.
HMB Surf Teams - Regular Season Results:
Both the middle school and high school squads did exceptionally well this year and this was reflected in the SCSSL tally for our league end-of-season ceremony in Santa Cruz Tuesday. After crowding the "lokes" for a quick free surf at the Lane, we headed over to Mission Hill School for awards. Big shout out to the league, coaches, surfers and parents for putting another super fun season into the books.
Team - 3rd place overall https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2gVX6JHDeM-cmh0YWp2eVpHSkE/edit?pli=1
Co-ed bodyboard - Clay Johnson 5th
Girl's longboard - Nikki Sorfleet 4th, Emma Stone 5th
Boy's longboard - Clay Johnson 2nd
Girl's shortboard - Emma Stone 3rd
Boy's shortboard - Luca Padua 5th
Team - 2nd place overall https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2gVX6JHDeM-eG5QSDN2SkpfZDg/edit?pli=1
Co-ed bodyboard - Kelby Kramer 5th
Women's longboard - Kaira Wallace 1st
Men's longboard - Malcolm Feix 5th
Women's shortboard - Kaira Wallace 3rd
The high school squad has just one more hurdle, however, and will be heading down to State Championships this weekend at Church's in San Clemente into the teeth of a late spring storm. Should be an adventure! Good luck team! Photos of both the SCSSL ceremony and States to follow soon.
Conditions are not looking good tomorrow as steady westerly onshore flow prevails. We will update if things change.
Marty and Rocky
Looks like we'll have surfable conditions for Club Practice tomorrow! Please remember to get up early to make your mom breakfast, clean your room and finish your chores early!
We'll see you at the beach!!
Marty and Rocky
HMB High Surf Team Practice Schedule:
Paging all high school surfers - this is your last chance to tune up for states next weekend.
1) Friday 4 p.m. - Dunes
2) Sunday 9 a.m. - Kelly
We should have some combo swell on Friday, predominantly wind swell and moderate on-shores. We'll start at Dunes and go from there. Sunday should be small south-only - good day to bring your longboards out (hint, hint) after making breakfast for your mothers.
- Congratulations to Malcolm Feix for his "Surfer of the Year" award tonight from the Boy & Girls Club! Not only was it well-deserved, but he took the prize for the longest acceptance speech. Way to represent...
SCSSL Awards Party
Attn: High School and Middle School Surfers
Tuesday, May 12th
6:30 - 8:00
pizza at 6:30
awards at 7:00
Mission Hill Middle School
Please join us for our end of the year celebration
with pizza from Pizza My Heart, team and individual
awards, and a group league photo.